Father’s Day* in the United States takes place on the third Sunday in June. It’s a day that we set aside to celebrate the people who have filled the role of “father” throughout our lives (including babywearing dads!).
At Wrapsody, we want to take a moment to focus specifically on those fathers and father figures who choose to include babywearing in their parenting toolbox — regardless of what kind carrier they use. We hear, from time to time, that dads sometimes feel uncomfortable using baby carriers or are even teased or harassed by family and peers — we are here to say, “Nonsense!” There is nothing that screams, “I’m a dad!” like taking care of your baby and your family — babywearing dads should be applauded just as any nurturing parent should be!
This year, we are celebrating babywearing fathers the whole month of June — not just on June 18! We are inviting you, our friends and followers, to participate in celebrating these beautiful fathers by writing a letter expressing just what it seeing them babywear means to you. Birth parents, adopted parents, foster parents, grandparents, and more – all entries are welcome!
Write a letter to a dad/father figure who is a babywearer, uses a baby carrier, or has used carriers in the past. The letter should focus on babywearing in some way (more info below, under “what to write about”).
You may enter up to five letters, but the letters must be written to different people. Submit each letter in a separate email, please!
To enter, simply email your letter to our Marketing & Communities department at email@example.com with the subject heading “Father’s Day Letter Contest”. You can attach the letter as a .doc OR simply include it in the body of the email. Feel free to include a photograph or image!
The letter can be written by you (presumably adult babywearing parent who reads our blog). It could be written by your child to their father figure and you can submit it on their behalf.
You can address the letter to:
- your own father/father figure who carried you
- your partner
- your friend or sibling or parent who carries your children
- a figurative ‘father’ — sort of a general note to any father figures who babywear
- a babywearing celebrity father, as in this letter to Ryan Reynolds
- yourself, if you’d like
- your own child, as a letter to the future father they might become, or to their theoretical future spouse
- to your adult child/son-in-law who is now a babywearing father (or fills that role)
- Did we miss someone? Write to them.
What to write about
What do you want to say? Really, feel free to take this letter in any direction you want. It is meant to be a love letter. Write a short note, a poem, or pour your heart out in rolling praise. Add a sketch or a cartoon if it’s how you best express your appreciation.
Your letter should be about babywearing somehow — but you’re welcome to be as creative as you’d like. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- why you appreciate a partner who wears your baby
- what the babywearing dad is giving to your (or his) baby by carrying them
- how it makes you feel to see him wearing your baby
- appreciation to your own father who wore you
- how babywearing keeps you connected with them
- if you are writing to a spouse, how their babywearing might strengthen your marriage
- think about the babywearing phase of your child’s life and what it means to you, and how the “father” you are writing about is a part of that
- a funny or sweet story about a specific babywearing moment
- use babywearing as a metaphor
- write a poem about the dad carrying his little one
- really, anything …. these are just suggestions!
Need some inspiration? We’ve collected some examples and tips in a Pinterest board for you — we’ve linked it at the end of this post.
Winners and prizes
To thank you for sharing some of your most personal thoughts and feelings, we will be publishing a selection of our favorite entries in our online blog, and the author of our favorite letter will receive the prize of a carrier* of their choice! Important: If you would like your letter to be published anonymously, you can still win the prize — just be sure to note it in your entry!
Grand prize: The in-stock Wrapsody carrier of your choice
Ambassadors choice: The in-stock Wrapsody carrier of your choice
Sweepstakes winners (3): A Wrapsody accessories package valued at over $100
- Includes: 3 head wraps, 2 furoshiki squares, a sticker collection, and a wrap scrap lanyard/keychain
Honorable mention: We’ll publish your letter on our blog, along with the image(s) you submitted, so that you can share it proudly with the “Dear Babywearing Father” in your life
Important: Deadline – We JUST extended it!
Your letters must reach us by 11:35pm EST on the 17th of June.
When the clock strikes midnight on June 18th here in Maine, the contest will be closed!
OK, so we’ll hopefully be asleep at that particular moment, so if you’re running a smidge late it will be ok. BUT — when we open our computers on June 4, we’ll begin the reading, the weeping, the judging of the contest. We will announce the winner on June 11th, so we have time to send the wrap out in case you want to gift it to someone special for Father’s Day!
Announcing the winner of the babywearing dads contest
We will announce the winners by email, so make sure firstname.lastname@example.org is in your address book in case you win!
*We’ll use the terms “dad” and “father” in this post for brevity — but we recognize and honor those people who don’t fit neatly into the binary or traditional categories of “mother” or “father.” We invite you to celebrate anyone you might choose to recognize during “Father’s Day,” regardless of whether that is the official title they use! <3
Need some inspiration? We’ve collected some examples and tips in a Pinterest board for you — be sure to follow us while you’re there!
Terms & Conditions:
Entries received after the deadline of 11:59pm EST on the 17th of June, 2017 may not be entered into the prize drawing.
Read complete contest rules here .